Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Mummy, I love you!"

I was just thinking about someone I know who seems really uncomfortable with being told, "I love you!" But I have to admit, that's pretty hypocrital, because I don't feel comfortable with it either! At the back of my mind, I'm always thinking - 'If you really knew me, would you still say 'I love you'?'

On the way back to Singapore on my last trip, a mother with her two little girls sat next to me on the bus. The mom sat in front and would turn around off and on with little admonishments, like "Don't kick the lady in front of you!" "Jie jie, don't tease mei mei!"

And in the midst of all these frequent little 'reminders', the youngest girl cheerfully chirped, "Mummy, I love you!"

The mother said, "I..." and then cleared her throat, "I love you too!"

It made me smile. What a sweet reminder thru all the nagging and fuss and worry - Mummy, I love you!

No matter how, no matter what, no matter when.

Only children can say that with total openness and u know they want nothing from you. How beautiful and how wonderful - if only we could all say that too!

2 comments:

  1. ermm.. actually i'm a type of person who really difficult to say "i love you" with my mouth. i can write it, i can type it. but not to say it.. dunno why..

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* Asian upbringing kut?

    But u know what, girl - you have very expressive eyes :> And u're a genuine person - you are not a 'fake' person. So it's not difficult to see, with you, that u luv people!

    ReplyDelete