Thursday, January 14, 2010

How Great is our God

In Haiti today, 100,000 people are roughly estimated to have died in the recent earthquake. Pondering about that, this song came to mind:-

How great is our God
Sing with me, how great is our God
All the world will say, how great,
How great is our God

Does it seem like the strangest thing to sing during this season? I mean, "100,000 people just died, Gillian, get your head out of the clouds! How can God be great in the face of such destruction in one of the poorest countries of the world?"

Well, do you all remember that very recently (like last week!) one of the churches in KL, Metro Tabernacle, was burnt? It sent waves of shock over the whole nation. I've never heard non-Christians cry out in such rage and anguish at the destruction of a church before!

It seemed like such a horrible thing to have happened; I even blogged about it with exclamation points meant to represent swear words.

But you know what? God turned it all for good...

1) Metro Tab was granted the permit for their new church building
2) They were given RM500K by the government
3) Ministers sat in the church service at MCA Hall which was lent to them
4) They were given RM100K by CIMB!

God promised, 'ALL things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.' And God is always faithful to keep that promise.

It doesn't seem so to us who are 'on the ground' so to speak. We look up to the heavens, shake our fist in fury and pain and cry out, "Why God? Why?"

In our little human perspective, we see destruction, we see thunder storms, we smell death, we hear screams... it all blots out the whispered promises of God.

'See, I am about to do a new thing'... 'Be still and know that I am God'... 'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD'...

I read reports that, iin the depths of the Haitians pain, songs of hymns were sung unto God in Haiti that frightening night after the earthquake. What faith! To worship God in the midst of pain and to trust in His love during this time.

I believe that all things will work out for good in Haiti... a good that will spread throughout the earth. I don't know what and I don't know how... I don't know why God did this, and I know I will never understand here on earth... but I know my God... and He is faithful.

He is a good Father, and a good Father will never forsake His children. Stand and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment