Friday, April 23, 2010

Just back from Sydney...

Actually I've been back a couple of days :). Had a goooooooood long sleep once I got back!

It wasn't as busy as I thought; simply because I put my foot down and insisted on having time for myself and God! ;>

The weather was bee-yoo-ti-fuuullll!!! I couldn't ask for more! I was cranky when we touched down because we had like half an hour to get bathed and changed and then we had to attend a meeting. We were so fortunate to be able to check-in and bathe that I really couldn't complain!

The bellhop was so funny; when he saw me look thru my wallet for a tip, he kept asking, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" until I gave him the tip, then he said, "Thank you" and left!

When we got to the office where the meeting was to be held, we were informed both the tax meeting and the audit standards meetings were cancelled due to lack of support! Aiyah! But we did get to tour their office. Their office is like so modern with bold, prime colours, and there are lots and lots of rooms as each manager and partner has a room to him/herself. So blessed!

We had the rest of the day off so we.... crashed! We met up with my dad for lunch (poor dad's meeting was NOT cancelled as it was the regional board meeting and very important) and he told us someone had recommended Cafe Sydney. Well, when we got there, and saw the calibre of the guests, alarm bells went off that this would be a VERY expensive lunch. And it was! Being poor people from Malaysia (ahem!) we shared ONE salad, had a main course each, and refused dessert and tea/ coffee. Ritzy much!

The next day was full of morning meetings whilst I... errr.... dozed. It was frightfully interesting... really.... I mean... carbon accounting and technological changes in industry.... how could you NOT be fascinated? Right?.... yeah.... So right ;>.

We had a light lunch because we took a cruise ferry to Fort Deningham where we had tea. My dad and I are such piggies... the people there asked, "Who would like to tour the fort?" and 90% of the delegates said, "Me!" and got up. My dad and I calmly sat at the tables and ate our way thru sandwiches and scones with real cream and jam (uh-huh, you wouldn't have left the table either, would you ;>).

Then they took a long cruise round to get us sleepy for dinner (as far as I could make out!) and I dozed... and the delegate taking photos of the conference sneakily took my photo and threatened to put it into the international newsletter! Oy voy!

Dinner was another ritzy place. Spent the pre-dinner drinks time (no, I do not drink alcohol! I had juice like a goody-goody!) talking to a delegate's wife. It had been a difficult time for her lately, and I was real sad to see her get teary-eyed. Sigh....

Dinner was like, too much to eat, of course. Everyone was stuffed to the hilt anyway! One of the delegates had brought his three kids along, and they were just perfect sunshiny angels. I'm serious! I think it's because their parents are two of the sweetest people I've ever met.

The next day, my cousin came to pick me up for HILLSONGS CHURCH SERVICE!!!!! Whoooooooo!!! Envy me! Envy me! I was bouncing around the cab on the way there; I was so excited!

I raided the book/ CD shop as soon as I got there to get things for people back home. I finally stopped after spending like about RM1,000+!!!

When we went in, the hall was pitch black with five, count them, FIVE TV screens! Whooeeetttt!!! And we LCD'ists have trouble with, like, one! The music was sooooo loud and radical. It wasn't TOD, but I've realised I can't expect TOD anywhere else EXCEPT TOD, so I had a great time!

The message was exactly something I"d been talking to God about lately - happiness. I told God that many things had changed in my life, but I was still not a very sunshiny person... still rather serious than smiley. I was excited by the challenge by Pst Brian to shine more and laugh more.

Went back to hotel to shake dad out of bed, only to find he'd been having a good walk around the city whilst we were in church. We went to Chinatown and tried some Chinese food there that wasn't really nice and the portion was humongous! Then we had a ride on the monorail because my dad wanted to do that for some reason ;> and then we walked to The Rocks for a gorgeous Sunday market.

But wow, the prices! They were so expensive, we just did like window shopping without the windows, and then went into a cafe for hot chocolate with whipped cream (I know, right? No wonder my colleague exclaimed, "You've put on so much weight" before anything else the first day she saw me after Sydney :>). My cuz had a lemon tart too; she can afford to - she's slim as anything!

We rested a bit becos I was tired (read: lazy) back at the hotel, then went out for scrumptious Lobster Noodles (yes, you may commence salivating now!) The lobster was soooooo big and fresh and tasty! My dad and i had had angmoh food throughout the conference, so we tucked in like anything.

That was just the best day for me....

Okay, gotta go back to work and will finish up with the last day another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment