Thursday, July 29, 2010

African saying

Oh gosh.... Serene just shared this with me:

"Those who love you are not fooled by mistakes you have made or dark images you hold about yourself. They remember your beauty when you feel ugly; your wholeness when you are broken; your innocence when you feel guilty; and your purpose when you are confused." African saying

It is so perfect! I want this painted in the waiting room of the centre for sexually abused kids that I want to set up someday... running along the four walls just below the ceiling, so that they can read it and know, and their healing will begin before I even see them and begin counselling them.

It addresses these four 'feelings' and 'thoughts' that I've been wracking my brain as to how to address:-

... the feeling of guilt
... the feeling of being ‘dirty’
... the thoughts of being a bad person who deserves this and the confusion that arises from that
... the brokenness inside that arises from feeling worthless and cheap and used

There are things that words don't seem to have the power to heal.

But this saying addresses it from another angle; sending a gentle reminder that these are 'feelings' and 'thoughts' and not reality... that inside, you are still beautiful and good and whole.

I love it so much! <3 Thanks Serene! Agape!

No comments:

Post a Comment