Tuesday, February 8, 2011

For What?

This is definitely a 'rant' blog...

The last wedding I attended just before Chinese New Year was my ballet teacher's.

My teacher doesn't just teach ballet, btw... she teaches rhythmic gymnastics too.

Can you imagine what the wedding was like? :> Yup, floaty chiffon tutus, pretty little girls in white dresses, pointe shoes and pink thights et al!

But this is what was alarming to me...

I went outside to the refreshments table with a girl who was ushering at the wedding with me (who does rhythmic gymnastics), and another girl in pointe shoes and a Les Sylphides tutu (who does ballet).

The girl who does ballet squealed with excitement when she saw the cupcake tower my ballet teacher had prepared as part of the refreshments.

"I haven't had a cupcake in TWO YEARS!" she cried. "And I can't remember what fried chicken even tastes like." she sighed, as she moved forward to pick up a cupcake.

Then she carefully peeled the icing off the cupcake. She took a spoon, and carefully scraped off all the cream from the cupcake and threw it into the dustbin before commencing munching on the cuppie.

I and the gymnastics girl shrugged.

Then we three spent a nice chunk of time discussing the various diets ballet dancers and gymnasts use.

And I can't help but wonder... Why? Why do we do this?

It's not as if we're ever going to be professionals. I mean, hey, come on - if we were, we'd have joined Bukit Jalil Sports School (for gymnastics) or the Royal Ballet School long before.

So... why the strict regime? Why do we exercise like crazy, limit our food intake and check our bodies in the mirror all the time?

Why don't we just enjoy eating whatever we taste without worrying about every single (fat) calorie that passes our lips?

I've been watching So You Think You Can Dance religiously lately, once I realised Season 7 had started. It's gorgeous!

But I know in my heart the price that those dancers would have had to pay.

Dance truly is a jealous god, demanding all your time, attention, heart and soul. It doesn't leave room for anything else in your life.

Maybe that's why I can never be a good dancer :>. I love volunteer work first! I'm not willing to pay the price that dance demands.

The Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sports estimates that the incidence of eating disorders in dancers is almost one hundred percent. "Most dancers have been through some kind of eating disorder, it's just that we don't see it. We don't discuss it." (Kehree LaCrosse, dance teacher, personal communication, January 1996)

Why is that?

And when are we going to do something about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment