Sunday, August 5, 2012

Tough decision

Really tired... Didn't get to sleep after 2-something a.m... Couldn't seem to knock-out.

I woke up really early for the comm service with our EA M'sia youths because we had to pick up youths from one centre.

We brought them to the Home where our other EA M'sia youths were staying and they had morning discussion. It was then that one of the house mothers of that Home said, "Eh, what happened to that boy's face?"

I looked, and at first I thought it was just the normal rough and tumble scars that all boys seem to accumulate. Only it wasn't.

I was really at a loss as to what to do. There were circumstances that would suggest it'd be wiser to keep silent and look away.

The youths did an excellent community service :> Thank God, as we were being audited by Dana Belia, the providers of our EA fund, yesterday. But it was kind of a 'blur' day for me... All I could see was my youth's face.

Eventually I spoke to someone who has ties with the Welfare Department. She was absolutely furious, and told me that she would take action.

I confess, I was rather alarmed at that... And my youths who were involved were VERY upset at that.

*sigh* Whenever I'm faced with something like this, and being a volunteer, I see this crop up often, I remember the other instances I faced when I was advised, "Keep quiet about it."

This was my first time deciding not to, and I am pretty sure that because of my decision, there will be consequences because of the people involved.

So... I'm worried. But... I think if I'd stayed quiet, I'd still have sleepless nights... and maybe more of them. Maybe it's time I learn to stop keeping quiet.

Update: *sigh* It looks like there's gonna be a big hoo-ha about this that will affect not just the kids but also the Centre. I'm really not happy about that as it's a good centre, even if they are poor. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment