Friday, December 7, 2012

Battered women

When I was in England, there was a women's shelter run by the Women's Aid Organization in the nearest town. I attended the training and roped in a couple of friends to join me.

In one of the classes, they played a casette recording for us to listen to... It was the testimony of a lady from the WAO who had once been an abused wife and is now running one of the bigger shelters.

She shared, "I remember my mother telling me that I would be beaten by my husband. When I asked her why, she said, 'That's just the way it is.' Sure enough, not two weeks into my marriage, my new husband slapped me across the face hard. I was shocked because according to all my mother had taught me, I had done nothing wrong. And I could hear my mother's voice in my head telling me, 'That's just the way it is.'"

Here in Malaysia, some of my kids have told me that they have been beaten along with their mothers. What shocks me is that they tell me they've been to the emergency room of the local hospitals 'many times'. My kids even get hospitalised because of their injuries.

My question - why doesn't someone rescue and save them there and then? Why must it take 'many times' for them to be safe?

No comments:

Post a Comment