Tuesday, January 15, 2013

On the other side of the bridge

It's really scary to sit on the other side of the fence in our country nowadays! ;>

Before this, I would just keep quiet... It didn't seem worth it to go against popular opinion. Much more so because in the churches in Malaysia, a lot of persuasion is going on to choose in a certain way, and God help you if you choose differently. I know a few friends in Malaysian churches who only privately dared to tell me that they did not agree... None of them dared to say so in church! They would surely be fired down and who knows? probably excommunicated! *lols*

*sigh* I don't know what's going on in my country, honestly. I 'get' the frustration and the anger with the things that have gone wrong.... I do! I understand! I've seen the injustice too!

But I also see some policies are GOOD... not bad! I faced a roaring backlash for supporting GST... Yet, if GST is evaluated, it isn't a bad thing! Some of the ideas and plans are what Malaysians have lobbied for for years, yet when it is given by the present government, it is looked upon with great suspicion just because it IS given by the present government!

And I'm sometimes afraid when I see the rallies and upsets in the country... I'll be honest, a part of me thinks of the business side of things too! How our country's economy will be affected by all this adverse publicity!

I remember when Singapore had their elections, I couldn't understand the rage that I saw on FB either... Why they were so unhappy. Surely Singapore is an utopia on earth compared to many countries... Expensive for sure, but safe. Economically secure. Strong and sound policies. And yet, the people are unhappy.

I went to Cambodia and India in one year... I came home and (*figuratively*!) kissed the ground when I arrived! I was grateful, exceedingly grateful, for my country Malaysia.

I get that some reform must take place... and it IS taking place in the hands of those who choose to take up positions of power and responsibility to make real change.

Those who go and yell in the middle of a field with other yellow-coloured demonstraters... Do those make a change?

No comments:

Post a Comment