Friday, June 28, 2013

Trauma Release Exercises

AsiaWorks Malaysia is offering a new program - TRE. I was pretty interested when I heard about it, because it was used for soldiers with PTSD before. But I was quite leery of attending another AW training - I'm scared of the training room now! ;P

It wasn't until Yasmin called me up and said, "You know what, I stepped out of the Guest Event and thought of you." that I explored it. She mentioned that it might be something that I could use in therapy with the youths.

I still don't understand much about it... I heard that there's shaking involved and that it relieves pain, but that's not what I'm looking for... I'm looking to see if it can help the youths to relieve the inner pain caused by the traumas they've gone through. Will this be useful in bringing them further along the journey of healing?

It reminds me of Vanitha's blog on drama therapy... How students, in movement, suddenly have body memories released into their conscious memory. I can understand that, because I find it true in dance... As you dance, movements give freedom to wordless memories stored inside your body to be released. It is why I love dance so much, even though sometimes, I want to dance alone, because it is impossible to lie when I dance. And I don't like showing much emotion in public! Like the line in the song, "The honesty's too much..."

I still don't know if I want to go for the certification programme, until I know more about it... But it's such a beautiful thing to see that the movement that I love can be transformed into a safe conduit for healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment