Saturday, July 26, 2014

Insensitive

I was really furious, the other evening. C was sharing about a girl who had disclosed to C that she had been sexually abused as a child. The girl who disclosed the abuse had also said that she had 'liked' the sexual touch. C told us how shocked C had been to hear this, in a funny way that made some of the listeners laugh.

I didn't laugh. I thought of the brave girl who had made such a courageous choice to disclose.

And I wished that I could tell C a few things...

I wish I could have told C...

... That some sexual abuse victims do get aroused by the sexual touch, and that is normal. It's just the way the body is made.

... That the sexual abuse survivor often feels shame and guilt because they think they must have wanted and instigated the abuse, because they 'liked' it.

... That children's bodies are capable of and do respond to such touch, and it is something some abusers use to hold against them, to keep them silent.

... That by laughing and making fun of it and getting others to laugh with you, you are only compounding the shame and silence other survivors feel.

But... Then I wonder, maybe all people think the same? I don't know...

No comments:

Post a Comment